Friday, May 20, 2011

For ME!

maxi dress 020

So I had seen this dress a few times online and thought that it was pretty fashion forward and something I might like to wear.  It is  “The Mission Maxi” by Jamie Christina.  I have been so leary about sewing for myself because kids clothes are pretty forgiving and well, small.  Finally I saw a post HERE of these ladies wearing the dress and I thought ok, why not.

So I headed up to my favorite place to go. Maisonnette in Oceanside and got my supplies.  Plus, a ton of advice.  These ladies are so fun to visit.  They are helpful, nice and their shop is fantastic. 

This was the first time I had ever used an old fashioned tissue paper pattern. It was actually pretty easy to trace but cutting out the fabric was another story.  This was also one of the first times I made a whole garment out of jersey knit. So lining up the stripes and pinning the pattern was a bit tedious for me but fun. 

I sewed it up today at nap time and am thrilled.  It fits fantastic and the colors are perfect.  The neckline topstitching is a little wonky and I am not sure I can totally pull off the horizontal stripe thing but it is still fun.  I am gonna make this again soon.  They had a fabric that was a melon type color that I want.

thanks for visiting.

-clover

3 comments:

Bumbles and Fairy-Tales said...

WOW! This is amazing! and you look beautiful! I love the fabric's patter/colors! You go girl!!! :)

I hope all is well with you and your family!
hugs, margie

Ava said...

Love it!! You did a great job!!

Meg said...

It looks great!